Student Support, Success & Retention
The Student Success, Support, and Retention services are funded by the Student Success Fee, providing direct support to Cal Poly's six academic colleges.
We ensure student success by facilitating referrals, support and advocacy through nonclinical interventions. We also provide follow-up services in collaboration with other university departments or individuals, community agencies, parents or guardians, and stakeholders in the students’ success.
We assist students who struggle in areas such as psychological health, physical health, relationship issues, family crisis, life trauma, social adjustment, and interpersonal conflict.
We are bound by FERPA and with the exception of a crisis situation, we share information about student concerns only on a need-to-know basis.
Areas of Support:
- Wellness Checks
- Problem Resolution
- Crisis Management
- Assess types of assistance and resources a student needs
- Help students arrange appropriate medical and/or mental health care
- Connect students with campus and community resources
- Meet with students and maintain contact with students to address needs
- Foster self-advocacy so students manage their academic and personal responsibilities
- Work with students to develop or strengthen their support systems
- Assist with medical withdrawal process coordination
- Explain university policies and procedures
- Provide post-hospitalization support
- Educate the campus community regarding student support services, policies and procedures
WE DO NOT:
- Provide mental health counseling or medical advice
- Provide academic advising
- Share personal student information with parents, faculty or staff, unless health and safety concerns are present
- Complete University policies and procedures on a student’s behalf
Location: Building 52, Room E-11
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Confidential Fax: 805-756-5425