Derek Allis, age 23, passed away on May 17, 2022.
If you would like to make a donation in memory of Derek, please consider giving to the Hume Scholarship Fund. Make a check out to Grace Central Coast and write Youth Scholarship Fund in the memo line.
Grace Central Coast Church
1350 Osos St.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Assistance for Students
We know that events like this can overwhelm a person’s natural ability to cope. It is normal to experience a range of emotions, including strong physical, cognitive, emotional, or behavioral reactions. Please know that Cal Poly is here to support you during this difficult time.
If you are in need of counseling or crisis support as a result of this event or any other situation, ask for help. Reaching out is a sign of strength and one of the best strategies for dealing with this type of stress. Below are some important resources and suggestions for you to consider:
- Connect with your social circles and communities – such as family, classmates, department staff, campus offices, and/or faith communities – for support. This type of support can complement any help you might seek in other venues.
- Seek support at Counseling Services (Building 27) by calling 805-756-2511. Same day appointments are available for those in urgent need, or schedule a brief screening within a few days.
- If you need immediate assistance any time of day, call the Crisis Line at 805-756-2511.
- Need a counselor to come to your group to provide support and resources? Please call Counseling Services at 805-756-2511 and ask to speak with Andrea Lawson, Director of Counseling Services. You can also email email@example.com.
- If you have questions or concerns related to missing a class or other academic commitments, these should be addressed directly with your individual instructors.
- Assistance and support services are also available by contacting the Dean of Students Office at 805-756-0327 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note: a common reaction to tragedy is to want information. Be thoughtful and respectful when sharing information with others and on social networking sites.
Assistance for Campus Employees
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides confidential counseling services to all Cal Poly employees and their families. To speak with a counselor at any other time, please call their 24-hour support hotline at 800-367-7474. More information about EAP's confidential services is available at https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/worklife.asp.
Please know that we care about each of you and that we grieve with you at this time.
Jeffrey D. Armstrong,President
Keith B. Humphrey,Vice President for Student Affairs